NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
NOJHL NETWORK MEDIA UPDATE
Release Date: Monday, Oct. 31, 2016
Voodoos, Thunderbirds & Crunch all tabbed in CJHL rankings
SUDBURY – The latest version of the Canadian Junior Hockey League’s Top 20 rankings announced Monday features three Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League clubs tabbed among the nation’s elite.
Winners of seven consecutive contests, the Powassan Voodoos were rated 11th in the 132-team CJHL this week while the Soo Thunderbirds, who have won six in a row, were slotted 17th.
Meanwhile the Cochrane Crunch came in at No. 19 overall.
Powassan tops both the NOJHL East and overall league standings with 29 points and a 14-3-1-0 record.
They also boast the best winning percentage in the league at .806.
Just one point behind is Sault Ste. Marie with 28 as the T-Birds have gone 14-5-0-0 to date while registering a .737 win mark.
As for Cochrane, they too are one point in arrears of Powassan at 28 having posted a record of 12-2-3-1. Their winning percentage currently sits at .778.
Both the Voodoos and Crunch hold a game in hand on the Thunderbirds.
The new No. 1 team in the CJHL this week is College Francais de Longueuil of the QJHL.
Slipping to No. 2 is the MJHL’s Steinbach Pistons who lost a pair of one-goal games last week to fall from being the last unbeaten side in the CJHL.
Another QJHL squad in the Terrebonne Cobras was ranked No. 3. While two OJHL sides, in the Cobourg Cougars and Georgetown Raiders round out the top five at No. 4 and No. 5 respectively.
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Oct. 31)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. College Francais de Longueuil (LHJQ) (3)
2. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (1)
3. Les Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJQ) (2)
4. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (4)
5. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (10)
6. Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) (9)
7. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (5)
8. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (13)
9. Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL) (8)
10. Estevan Bruins (SJHL) (17)
11. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (HM)
12. English River Miners (SIJHL) (16)
13. OCN Blizzard (MJHL) (NR)
14. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (12)
15. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (11)
16. Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL) (6)
17. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (HM)
18. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (14)
19. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (7)
20. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL); Battlefords North Stars (SJHL); Dryden GM Ice Dogs (SIJHL); Miramichi Timberwolves (MHL); Pictou County Weeks (MHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 132 teams and over 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.